Saturday, March 03, 2007

Library 2.0

I just read some of the perspectives on Library 2.0. They are pretty interesting, and I'll be honest - some of it is over my head. I don't really understand the whole Library 3D thing or the Library 4.0 that Dr. Wendy Schultz was talking about. Still, I do understand that the Web is changing the way in which we can serve patrons, and I agree that we need to make our services user-focused. I agree with a lot of what Rick Anderson says, especially, "...it can be equally disastrous when a profession fails to acknowledge and adapt to radical, fundamental change in the marketplace it serves." I feel like we need to try and maintain the library as a place where families can come and enjoy storytime, where people can browse the shelves, and where students can come study. However, I also feel like we need to be keeping up with the web services available in order to reach patrons in a way that they are most likely using the Internet.

No comments: